The popular instant messaging app, Telegram has just released a new version 5.80 for the iOS, Android, and desktop variants of its app. The updated version comes with a number of new features featuring adding People Nearby, location-based chats, greater integration with Siri (iOS only) and even more.
One of the features includes the ability to add people/contact who are nearby to you. This feature allows you to quickly exchange contact information with Telegram users who are close to your position. This feature, of course, requires that both parties activate the feature on their app so that they can be visible to one another. Then you can then just tap on their name to exchange contact info.
To activate this feature, Go to Contacts> Add people nearby. You will see the people who have this section open.
Apart from that, they also added a feature known as location-based groups that allow users based in the same location become part of “Groups in the vicinity” if their settings are set to open.
Telegram also allows transferring your administrator privileges to another member of a group, so if you don’t want ownership of a group anymore you can pass it on to someone else within the group.
Finally, below is the complete list of the remaining innovations introduced in the iOS and desktop variants of Telegram:
- Use Siri commands to open chats with people.
- Choose the style of the app icon and enjoy the new theme previews in the Appearance settings.
- Enable / disable message previews for specific chats and use the Search and ‘Delete all’ tools in notification exceptions.
- Hide the chats stored in the main menu.
- See who is online directly from the chat list.
- Use the MacBook Pro TouchBar to apply to format to selected text, insert emojis and send stickers.
All these features are now already available in the latest version of the Telegram app available on Google Play and App Store stores. The new Telegram Desktop release, on the other hand, is already available for automatic in-app download